A comprehensive toolkit to help practitioners and middle managers build business cases to fund digital preservation activities. It includes step by step guide to building a case for digital preservation, such as the key activities for preparing, planning and writing a digital preservation business case. It includes templates, case studies, and other resources to go in a chronological order through the step needed when constructing a business case.
The key activities include
- Preparation; look at timing, your organization's strategy, and what others are doing
- Audit your organization's readiness and do a risk assessment
- Assess where you are and what you need, your collections, your organizational risks
- Think hard about your stakeholders and intended audience
- Decide your objectives for your digital preservation activity and define what you want to achieve
- List your digital preservation benefits and map to your organization's strategy
- Look at benefits, risks and cost benefit analysis
- Validate / refine your business case; Identify weaknesses and gaps in your business case
- Deliver your business case with maximum impact; Create an Elevator Pitch, so you have the right language ready to make your case to potential advocates in your organization.
- The key features of the business case and a compelling argument for what you want to achieve.
- Decide where you want the plan to be by a specific time
- The key background and foundational sections of your business case, a focus on your digital assets and an assessment of the key stakeholders, and the risks facing your digital assets.
- A description of the business activity that your business case will enable.
- The possible options along with an assessment of the benefits, and associated costs and risks.