Slides from a presentation at CurateGear. Reading Media Older than Our Staff.
Who has actually USED one of these storage media for their own purpose? (not “have you encountered one?”)
Kids These Days
- Are not experienced with analog signals
- Are not experienced with linear storage
- Are not experienced with mechanical devices
- Are not experienced with cleaning & calibration
Cassette to demo to deck ... and a Few Linux Tools
Prequisite: BitCurator 1.2.1 & the computer has an audio input
Install these tools:
- sudo apt-get install alsa ecasound libaudio-ecasound-perl
- sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Audio::Ecasound'
- sudo apt-get install vice
- ecasound -r -f:s16,1,44100 -i alsa -x -o outfile.wav
- wav2tap outfile.wav > outfile.tap