MediaTrace is a new reporting tool that documents the structure and contents of digital files, particularly with audiovisual data. The complementary tool from MediaInfo summarizes a file’s significant characteristics; it provides comprehensive documentation of the file information in an XML format with an XML Schema and a Data Dictionary.
- itemizes and describes parts of a digital file in a comprehensive file index.
- documents elemental contents such as text strings, short binary values, numbers, and dates.
- for a media file it will document the size.
- focuses on comprehensively documenting the file structure as a whole
- MediaTrace: provides the root level element of the document
- block: documents a structural piece or elemental component of a digital file's bitstream data
- data: document the lowest-level and most granular aspect of the file's contents