The Problem: “This is an Archive. We can’t afford to lose anything!” They are custodians to the history of the United States and do not want to consider that the loss of data is likely to happen. The current solutions:
- At least 2 copies of everything digital
- Test and monitor for failures or errors
- Refresh the damaged copy from the good copy
- This process must be as automated as possible
- Recognize that someday data loss will occur
What costs are reasonable to reduce the loss of data?
Need to understand the possible solutions. How much more secure will our customers content be if:
- There is a third, fourth or fifth copy?
- All content is verified once a year versus every 5 years?
- More money is spent on higher quality storage?
- More staff are hired