The post reflects on a 2013 survey of 360 respondents:
- 14.2% indicated that a data loss had forced them to re-collect data for a project.
- 17.2% indicated that they had lost a file and could not re-collect the data.
- Follow the 3-2-1 rule for backing up your data: store at least 3 copies of each file (1 working copy and 2 backups), 2 different storage media and at least 1 offsite copy
- Perform regular backups
- Test your backups periodically
- Consider encrypting your backups. Just make sure that you’ve got a spare copy of your encryption password stored in a secure location!