This poster describes the development and delivery of a national media and communications campaign by the National and State Libraries of Australasia Digital Preservation Group in order to broaden public awareness of what digital preservation is and why it matters. The campaign focused on the benefits to the wider community of collecting and preserving digital material, rather than on the concept of loss, which forms the usual arguments about why digital preservation is important.
Their Digital Preservation Group identified best practice and collaborative options for the preservation of born digital and digitised materials. Earlier they had identified six priority themes and their poster addresses priority 5 (Collaboration and Partnership).
- What is it and why? A statement on digital preservation and set of principles.
- How well? A Digital Preservation Environment Maturity Matrix.
- Who? A Digital Preservation Organisational Capability and Skills Maturity Matrix.
- Nuts and Bolts: A technical registry of file formats with software/hardware dependencies.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Opportunities for promotion and collaboration.
- Confronting the Abyss: A business case for research on preserving difficult object types.