The structure and design of digital storage systems is a cornerstone of digital preservation. To better understand ongoing storage practices of organizations committed to digital preservation, the National Digital Stewardship Alliance conducted a survey of member organizations. This article reports on the findings of the survey.
- 90% of respondents are distributing copies of at least part of their content geographically.
- 88% of respondents are responsible for their content for an indefinite period of time.
- 80% of respondents use some form of fixity checking for their content.
- 75% of respondents report a strong preference to host and control their own technical infrastructure for preservation storage.
- 69% of respondents are considering, or currently participating in, a distributed storage cooperative or system (ex. LOCKSS alliance, MetaArchive, Data-PASS).
- 64% of respondents are planning to make significant technological changes in their preservation storage architecture in the next three years.
- 51% of respondents are considering or already using a cloud storage provider to keep one or more copies of their content.
- 48% of respondents are considering, or currently contracting out, storage services to be managed by another organization or company.