Some questions to think about when creating the digital preservation policy:
- Where should I start?
- What do I care about?
- Identify the aspects that are important and prioritize them.
- Develop a collection development policy by getting input from your community. Identify your primary and secondary communities and determine that is important to them.
- Determine what you can preserve, identify the scope of your efforts, and what you have the right to preserve.
- Identify the size and type of objects that your infrastructure can preserve now, and what it may be able to support in the future.
- When preserving objects, maintain the integrity, authenticity and usability of the objects over time. It is important for preservation that your actions are consistent with your plan.
- The general approach
- The tools available
- The methods of applying the tools
"There is no single right solution."