'Who owns the data' is an important question, but the answer is often unclear, especially for unfunded research and pilot projects. Other questions that need to be asked are:
- What happens if a researcher leaves the institution?
- What if someone needs access to the data?
- How long do I have to keep them and how should I discard them?
- What happens if there is no policy? How should policies be determined?
- If the data is part of a collaborating project then which policy takes precedence?
- 50% of the libraries surveyed offer some form of data services beyond a resource guide.
- 40% of the libraries have a staff member (often the science librarian) assigned to research data management initiatives.
- 10% have a dedicated data repository.