Very helpful website for dealing with ETDs. The Toolkit is an open set of six modules to help students create, store, and maintain their research outputs. It was designed to:
- Help administrators understand the digital research outputs students are creating
- Help administrators assess what to collect and care for as part of the institutional memory
- Help students make sure that research outputs are in durable formats and on durable devices;
- Help students make informed decisions about file formats, documentation, and rights.
- Copyright: How can students gain appropriate permissions and how can students signal copyright for their own works?
- Data Organization: How can students structure, describe, store, and deposit data and other research files for reuse and/or future access?
- File Formats: How will the formats students choose make future access to their research easier or more difficult?
- Metadata: How can students store information describing their files to make sure they can tell what they are in the future?
- Storage: How can students make well informed choices about where to store their research materials?
- Version Control: What mechanisms can students use to make it easier to see the history of a file with multiple versions?
The ETD+ Toolkit provides introductory training for data curation and digital longevity techniques. It helps students identify and offset risks and threats to their digital research.